Monday 21 February 2011

How men are still as emotionaly locked up as they were in the 1930s.

This is basically a blog subject that I didn't think of myself, it was suggested to me by a friend. So I will say sorry now in case it is complete and utter rubbish. Sorry. There, now that's done, I can write the blog.

So, men. As a guy, I am under the pressure of needing to fit in, like everyone else I guess, but for men, for whatever reason, it is hard to open up, and show emotions. I am, for one, not a person who has much trouble showing emotion. I tend to show how I am feeling. I wear my heart on my sleeve, so to speak. I am a very open person. I think that this is best because, this way, if something is wrong, I do not need to keep it bottled up, and then it can't eat me up from inside. It means that I can get help from my friends and family if something is bugging me. But for other men, it is hard to open up, and show others how they are feeling. This may be because they feel that people will think less of them if they show that they can feel things. Or perhaps, for whatever stupid reason, people may think that they are in some way homosexual. This seems to happen to me with certain people, "Oh, he has feelings, and he can show them, henceforth, through my 'oh so clever' logic, he must be gay." On the contrary, I am not gay, I just have the ability to show how I am feeling. This may not be the same for others, but it does happen to me.

When you start to show emotions, it is considered to be a sign of weakness, but it really is not. It is a sign of strength, passion, joy, sadness, the list goes on. All emotions are felt by everyone sometime during their lifetime, but for men, it seems to be hard to show them. I cannot say that I understand why this is, but I am going to try and explain why I think the reasons behind it. It may be that men are actually scared of being judged, which is quite possible, but it may also be that they feel less of a man if they show their emotions. Emotions are part of human nature, so I do not see why people judge others on them.

Men may still be as locked up emotionally as they were in the nineteen thirties, but I do not know for sure, having never been to that time period. But men are still locked up about emotions, perhaps because they never learnt how to show them properly, or perhaps due to the fact that they just don't understand what they are feeling. I am also sometimes confused about what I am feeling, but then I talk to someone, try to put it into words, try to understand what I am feeling. I have to say that talking to people helps you understand what your feeling.

Men might also might be locked up because they do not know how to put into words what they are feeling. Perhaps in the 1930s it was frowned upon for men to talk about feelings. In fact, it still is now. And it just isn't British, talking about emotions. It isn't something that people in Britain are good at, I do not know why. I do not fully understand why this is. Maybe it is because we just cannot talk about it, because it just isn't croquet. Perhaps in the 1930s, men were men, only talking about sport and abusing women. That isn't my view on how men should be, merely the 1930s outlook. Whilst the women stayed at home, cooked, cleaned and looked after the children, the men were out working, often in factories, quarries, and the likes, so the men only ever really talked to other men, so they never opened up. This would have been passed down generations of men, so they never had a proper heart to heart with their father, which has impacted on today's men. They struggle to talk about emotions and the likes. The conversations are mainly based on what makes both parties feel comfortable, so if someone doesn't feel comfortable talking about something, the problem will be ignored. It sounds like some kind of disease like that, and in a way, it is. The disease that has crippled men through generations. The disease that has stopped men being able to talk about certain things. I do not know. I didn't take history as a GCSE, so I cannot pretend to know much about history, but this is what I think is the reason behind it. After 70-80 years of this, people are starting to realise that emotions are not big and scary, everybody feels them, at different points during their lives, but they do feel them. This slow dawning has made it easier for men to open up, even though the older generations are still struggling, the younger generation, mine, are talking to our peers about these things, because we are making proper friendships, making strong bonds between people, who we then feel we can talk to about almost anything, although some things still are carefully avoided, often because we find them to be embarrassing, but just as often, we cannot put the things into words, so the problem goes unattended. Men are still struggling to show emotions, for the fear that someone will still judge them on their behaviour. This is rather silly, because we are all the same, we all came into the world the same way, we are all equal, so no-one has the right to judge us. So, to all you men out there, to coin a phrase, man up, and be open about everything, because, lets face it, nobody is any better or worse than you. No-one can judge you for being who you are, and feeling how you feel. I don't think that this has really stuck much to the title of the blog, so again I am sorry for it being complete and utter rubbish, but there you go. There is the blog on that, which did go a little of course, but it is now done. The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment